Friday, October 23, 2009

Recommended Viewing: In The French Style (1963)






Jean Seberg and Phillippe Forquet

I spent the majority of last week bedridden with a particularly nasty bout of the flu. Thankfully, I had Turner Classic Movies to keep me company throughout my recovery. During this time, I watched quite a few films, including In The French Style (1963) starring the lovely Jean Seberg as an American art student living in France. The film follows Catherine (Seberg) over the course of four years and several love affairs as she makes the transition from idealistic adolescent to sophisticated, worldly young woman. After her father pays a visit, Catherine finds herself caught between a passionate romance and the carefree, glamorous joie de vivre of the jet-setting Parisian elite on the one hand and the more mundane realities of familial obligation and adult responsibility back in the States on the other. Notably, the film also features Phillippe Forquet, former fiancée of Sharon Tate, in the role of Catherine’s teenage lover, Guy.

Unfortunately, as is the case with many of Seberg's films, In The French Style is currently unavailable on DVD. Hopefully this will change in the not-so-distant future. I'd highly encourage anyone who appreciates 1960s cinema or French culture to watch this film. And of course, it is a must-see for any Jean Seberg fan!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds great. I've never heard of it, but it sounds like the kind of film that was typical of the rebellious era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I have recently become quite enamoured of Miss Seberg. I'll even be blasphemous and say that she very often managed to out-Audrey Audrey in the style department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, your blog is amazing! I love old movies and the a French film star!!
    Have a nice evening
    Fleurette

    ReplyDelete